Uravu Eco Links (UEL) provides green building solutions with innovative designs using local materials such as bamboo, palm, coconut, areca nut (and their by-products), palm leaves, lime and mud. It promotes environmental sustainability in its structures, applying energy-efficient solar lighting, the use of LED lamps, wood-based water heating systems, biogas and the establishment of decentralized wastewater management systems (DEWATS).
Uravu Eco Links has so far completed several eco-friendly construction projects. The starting points in construction were bamboo cottages and tree houses for the tourism sector. With the support of its longstanding partner George P.J from Padavu Builders, UEL started applying new techniques of cement reinforced with bamboo and nut and bolt joineries for bamboo bridges and roof constructions and full bamboo bent structures.
In the Uravu Bamboo Grove Project, UEL started its association and fruitful collaboration with Prof. Jürg Grunder from IN:CH Architects and Planners in Bangalore. His involvement brought in new design concepts, quality standardisation and documentation.
The following are the most important projects done by UEL:
- Bamboo Bridge for the Archaeology Department of Kerala in Madavoorppara, Trivandrum
- Rippon Mount Resort in Meppadi, Wayanad
- Treasure Trove Resort in Meenangadi, Wayanad
- Bamboo Cafeteria in Vithyri Village Resort, Wayanad
- Bamboo reinforced roof in Meenangadi, Wayanad
- Bamboo reinforced roof in Thrikkaipetta, Wayanad
- Uravu Bamboo Grove Resort in Thrikkaipetta, Wayanad
- Bamboo Log Project: development of two IAY houses and a community centre based on bamboo in Thrikkaipetta, Wayanad
Construction of houses with bamboo provides many benefits to the local people. Bamboo has incredible attributes. Its astonishing strength and flexibility is suitable for all types of constructions and structures. It can be used to build pillars, walls, window frames, rafters, room separators, ceilings and roofs.Secondly, it is a naturaland renewable resource, which grows rapidly and almost anywhere, and is thus, non-polluting. Finally, it can be easily used in combination with many other types of construction materials.